Thursday, April 21, 2016

Week 11 - End of Low Poly Modeling and Beginning of Zbrush Sculpting

For days I've fought with my model trying to get the animation to export correctly. I attempted many different approaches. I tried the Maya 2016 Game Exporter plug-in as suggested in class, however every time I went to export my fbx through Game Exporter I received a fatal error and Maya crashed. I thought I'd try again on a lab computer next time I was on a lab computer and decided to move on to alternative routes. I did even more research and exported a variety of ways, messing with a variety of FBX export settings and Bake Simulation settings. Lots of checking and unchecking boxes. Each time I tested it, something went wrong: the body animated but the armor / gear / eyes didn't, the armor animated but the body didn't, everything animated but the body was distorted, the body was the correct proportion but nothing animated. After hours upon hours of doing this, I decided I needed to move on. While I'm pretty disappointed I was unable to show off the rig + animation I made, I just can't dwell on this one problem for much longer because I need to move onto my next project. Also, I think this is slowly driving me insane. I'll definitely return to this project if I can figure out some sort of solution.

I did post my issue to CGC on Facebook. I got some responses, but unfortunately they were recommendations I had already tried. I might bring the issue to Sketchfab forums to get some more insight.























Now that I've completed my project, it's time to move on to Zbrush! I have lots of Zbrush tutorials to watch (thanks Karissa) and I'll have some shots of me experimenting with it by next update!

Because there wasn't a lot of visible work to show, here are some screencaps I took of my frustrating battle with my project. Behold the horror:

One of my FBXs in MotionBuilder. It never looked like this in Sketchfab. A mystery
My most frequent error. Despite looking it up, I have no idea how to resolve it
Oh my

Lots of iterations

No comments:

Post a Comment